Spurs' Bentancur loses appeal over seven-match ban
· CNA · JoinTottenham Hotspur midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur's appeal against the length of his seven game suspension has been dismissed, the Football Association said on Tuesday.
The Uruguayan was banned for making a racist remark about teammate Son Heung-min.
Bentancur had denied the charge, but an independent regulatory commission found it to be proven and the FA imposed the suspension and a 100,000 pounds ($126,930) fine last month on the 27-year-old.
Spurs then appealed, arguing the sanction was too "severe".
"This appeal was dismissed following a hearing, and the seven-match suspension remains as ordered by the Regulatory Commission," the FA said in a statement.
Bentancur will miss the League Cup quarter-final against Manchester United on Thursday and a key Premier League game against Liverpool at home on Sunday.
($1 = 0.7878 pounds)
Sign up for our newsletters
Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox
Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app